General Regulations (Updated: 11 November)
- Hotels may only accept guests travelling for business reasons, they are closed for tourists.
- A curfew is introduced between 8:00 pm. and 5:00 am. (with the exception of emergency situations and travelling from/to work).
- Fitness gyms, indoor swimming pools, theatres, museums, zoos and other entertainment and leisure facilities will be closed indefinitely.
- All gatherings are prohibited.
- Restaurants are closed, only take-out and delivery service is permitted. Workplace canteens may be open.
- Shops, barbers and hairdressers as well as other small businesses must close at 7:00 pm.
- All public audience events are banned.
- Family and private events and gatherings are allowed to host up to 10 persons per event.
- Sporting events may only be held without spectators.
- Face masks are mandatory in shops, on public transport, healthcare and social facilities as well as customer service offices.
- From 2 November, those who breach the rules are subject to a fine. The police has the mandate to close down shops.
- Wearing face masks can no longer be replaced by covering the face (including the mouth and nose) with a shawl or cloth.
- Public transport riders failing to wear a face mask may be removed from the vehicle, and subjected to a fine of up to HUF 50,000.
- Service operators are partly responsible for enforcing the above provision regarding the mandatory wearing of face masks.
- Wedding ceremonies may not be followed by a wedding reception; only the best man, maid of honour, the parents and siblings of the couple may be present at church and civil wedding ceremonies.
- Funeral ceremonies may not exceed a maximum attendance of 50.
Effective rules of entry (updated)
Given the international pandemic situation, new rules of entry came into effect in Hungary at the beginning of September, which are summarised below.
From 1 September a non-Hungarian citizen is not permitted to enter the territory of Hungary for tourism purposes.
V4 countries are subject to less strict rules. Czech, Polish and Slovak tourists who have booked their accommodations in Hungary earlier may enter the country with a negative test–not older than five days—, while Hungarians who have booked their accommodations in one of the V4 countries earlier will only need a single negative test after their return home.
Non-Hungarian citizens may enter the territory of Hungary in exceptional cases only; exemptions may only be granted by the relevant policy authority according to the place of entry, in the case of border crossing at Budapest Liszt Ferenc International Airport, the BRFK XVIII District Police Headquarters.
The police authority may authorise entry if the applicant proves that the purpose of entry is:
- participation in a procedural act related to court or official proceedings in Hungary, certified by a document issued by a Hungarian court or authority,
- business or other work justified by a letter of invitation from a central government administrative body, an independent regulatory body, or an autonomous public administration body,
- use of health care with a referral from a health care institution or other appropriate certificate,
- fulfillment of a study or examination obligation existing on the basis of a student or pupil status, if this is certified by a certificate issued by the educational institution,
- travel in passenger transport in connection with work related to a transport activity, with the aim of arriving at the place where the transport task commences (place of commencement of work), or returning home from the completion of such a task, if evidence by a certificate issued by the employer,
- participation in family events (marriage, baptism, funeral),
- caring for a relative in accordance with Act V of 2013 of the Civil Code,
- participation in sporting, cultural and church events of international significance, or
- other justifiable reason.
The application and the appeal can only be submitted electronically, in Hungarian or English through the electronic forms created for this purpose. The original copy of the submitted document must be presented upon entering the territory of Hungary.
The passenger may undergo a medical examination upon entering Hungary. If the health examination reveals suspicion of infection, the person concerned must be refused entry to the territory of Hungary. If infection is not suspected,, the person concerned shall be placed in a quarantine facility designated by the competent epidemiological authority or official home quarantine for 14 days. Exemption from this can be secured with the provision of two negative tests carried out in accordance with health professional rules within 5 days and at least 48 hours apart.
In view of the current pandemic situation, border control with the rules above will continue to remain in force at least until 1 December.
Foreign PCR test is also accepted by the authorities
In case of entry into Hungary, a PCR test performed in a Schengen Member State on one occasion is recognised as equivalent to the domestic test. Pursuant to Government Decree No. 422/2020 (IX. 4.) effective from on 5 September, in addition to the countries belonging to the Schengen Area, the SARS-CoV-2 PCR test performed in the United States of America and Canada will also be accepted, the results of which must be certified by the person concerned with a relevant document in Hungarian or English.
It is recommended that the non-Hungarian citizens arriving in Hungary with valid booking contact the travel organiser. The accommodation establishments and service providers in Hungary are being flexible.
We apologise sincerely for the inconvenience, but right now the protection of health and human life must come first. Stricter measures are currently needed so that we can welcome our guests safely and freely as soon as possible.
Business travel is allowed
In order to ensure the smooth operation of the Hungarian economy, from 5 September the Government allows unrestricted entry from abroad for business purposes. The Government Decree specifies the following provisions concerning travel for business and economic purposes.
Government Decree No. 408/2020 (VIII. 30.) Is supplemented by the following subheading:
“Section 6/A. Provisions relating to travel for business and economic purposes
Section 10 / A (1) If the purpose of departure from Hungary is an activity for business or economic purposes, the fact of which is proved by the Hungarian citizen upon his return to Hungary, the Hungarian citizen may enter the territory of Hungary without restriction after the departure. (…)
Section 10 / B. (1) If entry into Hungary is an activity for business or economic purposes, the fact of which is proved by the non-Hungarian citizen upon entry into the territory of Hungary, he may enter the territory of Hungary without restriction.”
Citizens of the neighboring states and Hungarian citizens living there may enter the territory of Hungary within a distance of 30 kilometers from the state border for a maximum period of 24 hours. When returning, they can also travel without restriction if the duration of their stay abroad did not exceed 24 hours.
Non-Hungarian citizens arriving from abroad may enter the territory of Hungary in passenger traffic for the purpose of transit passage if they submit to a medical examination upon entry and the medical examination does not establish the suspicion of infection.
Sports events or cultural events
The strict conditions for travel to and from sports events in Hungary also apply to cultural events.
Therefore, spectators of international sports events and cultural events held in Hungary can only enter the country if they have a negative PCR test result, have a ticket to the event and undergo a health examination, and are obliged to leave the country within 72 hours of entry.
The Hungarian citizen returning from abroad is obliged to stay in official home quarantine for 14 days, or until they are able to present two negative tests performed two days apart.
If the health examination reveals suspicion of infection, those concerned shall be placed in designated quarantine or, if there is no epidemiological risk, in official home quarantine.
At the request of the quarantined individual, the epidemiological authority may allow the quarantined person to have two tests administered in accordance with health professional rules (molecular biological test – SARS-CoV-2 PCR test), both within 5 days and at least 48 hours apart. If the virus was not detected, the individual will be released from quarantine.
UP-TO-DATE COVID INFORMATION IN ENGLISH
For up-to-date information visit any of the sites below:
Our foreign visitors can send their questions to the email address email@example.com.